Balance and Dizziness Programs
Balance and walking problems can result from orthopedic conditions, neurological disorders, or a number of
injuries that involve the joints, muscles, and nerves. Rehab Associates takes a whole-body approach to consider
whether issues with the spine, hip, knee or feet contribute to imbalances, and they provide intensive one-on-one
care to help patients achieve the greatest independence possible.
Facts About Balance:
- 1/3 of the population over 65 fall each year and 1/2 of the population over 80
- One in three people will experience dizziness or imbalance during their lifetime
- In patients over 75, imbalance is the #1 reason for a doctor visit
- Falls account for 25% of all hospital admissions and 40% of all nursing home admissions
- Falls are the #1 cause of fractures
- Falls are the leading cause of death due to injury among elderly
Facts About Vestibular/Dizziness Disorders
- At least half of the US population is affected by a balance or vestibular disorder sometime during their
- Of all falls suffered by the elderly, 50% are reported to be the result of vestibular problems.
- Inner ear problems may not be amenable to surgical treatment.
- Pharmacological treatment with vestibular suppressants often delays the recovery process of these
- Dizziness can be difficult to diagnose and often represents dysfunction in more than one body system.
Our balance programs focus on strength, endurance, motion, gait training and coordination for safe walking and
preventing falls. If you need the assistance of a cane or walker, Rehab Associates therapists will match you with
the appropriate device and provide training for safety.
At Rehab Associates, our therapists realize how important balance and walking is for independent living, as well
as for work activities, exercise, sports and enjoying life in general. That’s why we provide a range of programs and
therapies to evaluate and treat balance disorders:
- Assessment and Evaluation Programs
- Gait Training and Balance Programs
- Fall Prevention and Balance Retraining
- Fitness and Wellness Programs
- Vestibular Rehab
- Functional Training